Wednesday, August 24, 2016

ARC~ World of Ink and Shadows


There were a lot of different aspects I loved throughout reading this book, and I am so glad that I could trade with Jamie from B&L and BAMF to get this book! I've decided to change up my review style today and tell you the 5 reasons why I loved this book.

but first here's a little bit about the book...


Title: Worlds of Ink and Shadow
Author: Lena Coakley
Publication date: January 5th 2016
Publisher: HarperCollins Canada
Source: ARC *Received through a trade with Jamie*
Format: ARC Paperback 
Description: Charlotte, Branwell, Emily, and Anne. The Brontë siblings have always been inseparable. After all, nothing can bond four siblings quite like life in an isolated parsonage out on the moors. Their vivid imaginations lend them escape from their strict upbringing, actually transporting them into their created worlds: the glittering Verdopolis and the romantic and melancholy Gondal. But at what price? As Branwell begins to slip into madness and the sisters feel their real lives slipping away, they must weigh the cost of their powerful imaginations, even as their characters—the brooding Rogue and dashing Duke of Zamorna—refuse to let them go.

Gorgeously written and based on the Brontës’ juvenilia, Worlds of Ink & Shadow brings to life one of history’s most celebrated literary families.




1. The fictional but plausible life of the Bronte Siblings .

I am sure almost every bookworm has heard about the Bronte sisters, the famous writers of Jane Eyre? Withering Heights? sound familiar? Exactly. The idea that Lena Coakley spun real life events and twisted them into making it suit this fictional read was astounding. We read about characters and settings in which the Bronte siblings dreamed up, but they had a little bit of personalty from Coakley's writing. 

In fact even at the end of the book there's a little bit more factual information about the Bronte's and there life span, and it was super cool to see how Coakley incorporated that into her writing and punishment or Sacrifice for  Charlotte. Also by reading this book it made me want to read more about the Bronte's as well.

2. The idea of Writing and having it physically take you to your fictional place.

Charlotte and Branwell Bronte were exceptional talented writers in this story. Once they got lost in there own writing they could open doorways to there own fictional world. A place perfectly crafted to fit each of the siblings needs and desires. I fell in love with this aspect of the book. It was unique to see the characters get transported into their fictional worlds, and not just mentally, but physically.

3. The Madness.
There was a lot of chaos going on throughout the book and a lot of tough decisions that had to be mad. Each character had to make choices out of pure desire and greed and suffer the consequences. The madness from some of the characters had shown through more easily then others. Especially in Branwell. Coakley' writing made it believable and terrifying all at the same time. It wasn't oblivious but as a reader y could definitely see it happening.

4. Point of Views
Each chapter had a characters name as a header that signified that the chapter was going to be around that character. Each Bronte sibling had there fair share of chapters. I enjoyed the multiply POVs because it helped for the story to have a boarder audience. It also allowed for me as a reader to see how all the different choices being made effected each character differently.

With the multiply POV's I found that it never got confusing, I believe it actually helped the story line along. I thought that at first it would be a lot, but in truth it really wasn't. So that was enjoyed as well.

5. Overall Plot
I found the over all idea of Worlds of Shadow and Ink was very well written. It had very unique ideas to go along with the very unique characters. Everything felt original and true. I liked the added haunting to the characters as well.  

Have you read Worlds of Ink and Shadow? What were you thoughts?

1 comment:

La La in the Library said...

I need to read this book! I have had my eye on it since people were reviewing the ARC. I think I can get to it next year when I am doing a personal challenge of reading only one ARC a month. This is going to free up a lot of personal reading time for me. Thanks for sharing a review. :)